Midnight Oil: their 20 greatest songs – sorted
Since 1978, Midnight Oil have made 13 studio albums, two studio EPs and innumerable odds and sods. Here, Oils fan Andrew Stafford has a go at picking the dream set list In his memoir Big Blue Sky, Peter Garrett cites an iron law of rock (and Regurgitator): fans will always tell you that they like your old stuff better than your new stuff. That’s because, for any band that has a long career, songs are associated with the memories that we attach to them when we were growing up. I grew up with Midnight Oil. They were the first band I ever saw in concert, I’ve seen them more than most, and I was immensely privileged to write liner notes for their Overflow Tank boxset. In compiling this list, I’ve tried to bear in mind that my memories are no measure of a song’s quality, much less cultural impact. Continue reading...
More from Culture & HumanitiesMore posts in Culture & Humanities »
- Wolf Pack review – Sarah Michelle Gellar’s TV comeback is mind-bendingly bad
- The ex factor: Miley Cyrus smashes records with breakup anthem
- Ziggy Ramo: Sugar Coated Lies review – bold, uncompromising hip-hop that takes a new path
- Mumbling actors, bad speakers or lazy listeners? Why everyone is watching TV with subtitles on
- Sam Smith Toes the Line on Gloria