Unstable review – this Rob Lowe nepo-sitcom is staggeringly joke-free
The actor stars alongside his son (playing his son) in a nauseatingly schmaltzy, second-tier comedy. It’s utterly unfunny, but at least its lead is as charming as ever That the name of the eccentric biotech-genius-entrepreneur protagonist of Unstable is Ellis Dragon tells you everything you need to know about this Netflix comedy series. It knows it is supposed to be funny – it is absolutely committed to being so – and yet every effort just misses. Ellis is played by Rob Lowe. Slightly more rumpled than he was in The West Wing, slightly less chiselled than he was in St Elmo’s Fire, but still dependably Rob Lowe – quick, charming and accomplished at selling the hell out of anything he finds himself in, which is the most valuable of his assets here. Continue reading...
More from Culture & HumanitiesMore posts in Culture & Humanities »
- ‘There are dozens of Russell Brands’: female comedians say abuse is rife
- ‘I wanted answers’: the amazing TV homage to Tupac – by the man who got him locked up
- Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty review: excellent expansion enhances an overhauled game
- Is The Creator the best science fiction movie of 2023 – or is AI controlling the hype?
- Kylie: Tension review – Padam was just for starters…